The Museum of Mohamed Mahmoud Khalil
The museum of Mohamed Mahmoud Khalil and his wife is found in Giza. This Palace was built at around 1920, on the French Ardico style or achitecture, which was well known in France at the time. However, the eastern side of the palace, overlooking the Nile, carries some features of the Arnoveau Style that appeared in France in 1875. This is evident from the metal and glass skeleton above the entrance of the palace.
The Palace which is four storeys high, was build on an area of 1400 square meters, and was inaugurated as a museum on 23 July 1962. In July of 1971, the museum was moved to Prince Amr Ibrahim's palace in Zamalek, Cairo, while Mohamed Mahmoud Khalil's Palace was being restored. After the restoration, the museum was moved back to its former location in September 1995.
The collection of the museum is considered to be among the largest personal artifact collections in the East. It contains pieces of art and paintings by great artists, who led the fine arts movement in Europe, especially in France, during the second half of the 19th century. It is also considered among the most valuable collections worldwide.
The collection includes:
- A number of rare and valuable vases.
- A large number of small art pieces, which are perfected by Chinese artists, and made of semi-precious stone: crystal de Roche, Gad and Emeralds.
- A number of small art pieces made of precious stones.
- A number of bronze, marble and lime statues made by great sculptors from the past century, including Rodan, Pari, and Hordon.
- A collection of small Arno boxes - Japanese Style - which are considered among the most valuable collections worldwide and the only such collection in Egypt.